Cheap Flights into Europe From the UK in 2018
It’s that time of year in the UK when we are all thinking about how much we miss the sun. The tour operators are pushing their “January Sales”, and a week in the sunshine somewhere looks heavily appealing to most people right now. One of the hardest things, however, is picking the right moment book to get cheap flights.
Luckily, we’ve got some information that just might help.
Booking Cheap Flights for Summer 2018
Traditionally speaking we’ve always been told to book flights “as early as possible”. This sort of advice can generally ring true and work for long-haul destinations. The sort of flight that lasts longer than 4 hours still seems to be the cheapest when booked early.
Early booking for any adventure helps the travel industry’s pockets tremendously. It makes it easy to forecast demand and therefore makes it easier to dictate prices. All in all a more profitable, less competitive experience for tour operators, and seemingly less of a better deal for us tourists.
However, we are not talking about long-haul journeys. We are talking about cheap flights from the UK to Europe here. 99% of the time these tend to be short-haul, sub 4-hour flights that get you to a sandy, warm beach in no time.
Booking engine Kayak.co.uk has published a report based on lots of data which gives some great advice to British tourists.
Popular Destinations for Brits in 2018 and when to Book for the Cheapest Flights
The guys at Kayak have published the 10 most popular European destinations for British tourists in 2018. These include city and summer breaks like Barcelona, Amsterdam, Mallorca, Malaga and Paris. Seven out of the top ten destinations advise that booking flights just one month in advance could save travellers up to 57% on the flights. That’s a huge saving!
Here’s a list of the destinations and recommended booking time:
- Malaga – Book 1 month in advance. Cheap flights out on Mondays and Wednesdays
- Alicante – 1-month booking advice. Cheapest flight available Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Amsterdam – Booking 2 months before travel flying on a Wednesday or Friday is cheapest.
- Barcelona – Flying out on a Wednesday or Friday, and choosing to book 2 months before = cheap flights.
- Faro – Tuesday or Wednesday Flight Times: Book 1 month in advance for the least expensive flights.
- Rekjavik – Booking time is 4 months in advance. Fly out on a Monday or Tuesday.
- Rome – Book flights 1 month early to fly on Monday or Wednesday.
- Palma de Mallorca – Buy 1 month before and fly Wednesday or Tuesday.
- Paris – 3 month in advance. Thursdays and Tuesdays are best for cheap flights
- Arrecife – 1 month before. Flying on a Sunday or a Friday.
So there you have it. It seems like booking flights later, rather than earlier can actually save you money.
Where are People Travelling to in 2018?
Short haul, all of the above-listed destinations are expected to be some of the most popular for UK tourists this year. In addition to this Prague, in the Czech Republic has grown hugely in popularity. We were there last October and it is well worth a visit for a long weekend or city break.
What about long-haul flights and destinations? With the introduction of new ultra long-haul journeys in 2018 from London to Perth, Australia, we think many more UK tourists will be heading down under. Also, the Aussies should flood to beautiful Europe in droves now the journey has been reduced to just 17 hours!
Where are you planning to visit in 2018? Comment below and let us know your plans!